Re: [Nolug] BSD vs GPL

From: Petri Laihonen <pietu_at_weblizards.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2009 14:04:17 -0500

I don't understand much about any of the licensing stuff.... I think it
is way too much of complex reading and hidden agendas obscured with tons
of text.....

There are few simple things I do understand though....

1) Licensing has absolutely no effect on peoples honesty nor lack
thereof. (upbringing has the most effect on that)
2) Licenses are created for the limiting purposes only.
3) Why would freedom need a license?

petri

James Thompson wrote:
> I use the MIT license for almost all my code for the reason that David
> Heinemeier Hansson outlined in his Rails keynote from 2006:
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/rooreynolds/243810133/
>
> I'm not concerned with who uses my code or how it's used. I don't
> program for the same reason that Zed does (I don't actually get paid
> to program in reality), but I see the value of the GPL and its kin. If
> I released things beyond libraries and small discreet programs I would
> probably use the AGPL/GPL in order to keep folks who want to extend my
> work honest. But for most of the code I write from scratch I want as
> few encumbrances as possible to the person who wants to use my work.
>
> I like Zed's first point from the previous post though
> (http://zedshaw.com/blog/2009-07-13.html): It's the author's right!
>
> Whatever the person who writes the code wants to do with their code is
> their business.
>

> On Wed, Jul 15, 2009 at 11:27 AM, Mark A. Hershberger<mah@everybody.org> wrote:
>
>> I remember the conversation from a few months back on the BSD vs GPL and
>> thought Zed Shaw captured this perfectly:
>>
>> What I’m seeing is the following double standard among BSD license
>> users:
>>
>> 1. If you are a commercial company like Apple or Google then BSD
>> licensors love you and want you to have “true freedom”.
>>
>> 2. If you are a GPL project, they pressure you into releasing
>> your code BSD licensed and get offended because you use their
>> code.
>>
>> You cannot have it both ways people. Either your code is “truly
>> free” for everyone to use, or it’s not and you need to change the
>> license. If you BSD license it, and a GPL project uses it, well, I’m
>> sorry to say, but you chose that license so everyone could use your
>> code how they want
>>
>> (From http://zedshaw.com/blog/2009-07-15.html)
>>
>> --
>> http://hexmode.com/
>>
>> Every day, mindful practice. When the mind is disciplined, then the
>> Way can work for us. Otherwise, all we do is talk of the Way; everything
>> is just words; and the world will know us as its one great fool.

believed to be clean.