Re: [Nolug] Linux - The New 'Hot' Job Skill

Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2009 09:47:57 -0500

Joey Kelly wrote:
> On Wed September 16 2009 9:23 am, Mark A. Hershberger wrote:
>> Jonathan Roberts <gremln007@gmail.com> writes:
>>> Do you really see the costs equaling out?
>> I do. There are published news stories about companies selling or
>> abandoning their Indian outsourcing centers because the cost has risen
>> too much. I've talked with several immigrants about this and they all
>> agree that this is happening.
>>
>> China is competing with India for jobs now, too, and they're cheaper
>> (for the while) still.
>>

> I guess it's time for me to weigh in.
>
> I worked with Indian and Malasian IT guys while at Shell, and came away with
> the very strong opinion that those guys are simply not ready to compete with
> western workers. In short, the outsourcing/offshoring model just does not
> work, unless you're happy with practiced mediocrity.
>
> I wish those guys all the best, but I'm convinced that US consultants are more
> valuable than Indian consultants, all things considered.

I guess it depends on who you work with. I had to work an emergency
call with the guys at Microsoft once and I was on the phone with a team
in India. Those guys were VERY capable. It has to be related to
what companies are willing to pay.

Companies who go with outsourcing are looking to save a few dollars, but
it seems that sometimes they are also willing to skimp on quality and
ability too it seems. That's the problem with the lowest bidder
mentality - "you get what you pay for."

Quality talent costs money. And quality outsourced workers costs more
than the lowest bidder's outsourcing services.