Re: [Nolug] Linux - The New 'Hot' Job Skill

From: Joey Kelly <joey_at_joeykelly.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2009 09:27:00 -0500

On Wed September 16 2009 9:23 am, Mark A. Hershberger wrote:
> Jonathan Roberts <gremln007@gmail.com> writes:
> > Do you really see the costs equaling out?
>
> I do. There are published news stories about companies selling or
> abandoning their Indian outsourcing centers because the cost has risen
> too much. I've talked with several immigrants about this and they all
> agree that this is happening.
>
> China is competing with India for jobs now, too, and they're cheaper
> (for the while) still.

I guess it's time for me to weigh in.

I worked with Indian and Malasian IT guys while at Shell, and came away with
the very strong opinion that those guys are simply not ready to compete with
western workers. In short, the outsourcing/offshoring model just does not
work, unless you're happy with practiced mediocrity.

I wish those guys all the best, but I'm convinced that US consultants are more
valuable than Indian consultants, all things considered.

Minister of the Gospel and Linux Consultant