Re: [Nolug] Linux - The New 'Hot' Job Skill

From: Mark A. Hershberger <mah_at_everybody.org>
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2009 10:23:45 -0400

Jonathan Roberts <gremln007@gmail.com> writes:

> Do you really see the costs equaling out?

I do. There are published news stories about companies selling or
abandoning their Indian outsourcing centers because the cost has risen
too much. I've talked with several immigrants about this and they all
agree that this is happening.

China is competing with India for jobs now, too, and they're cheaper
(for the while) still.

Here in the States, we have seen some wage stagnation, which may be
partly caused by outsourcing, but I don't think there's been any real
job loss or wage depression.

> I am surprised that this is the case but I'm not familiar with Indian
> outsourcing and don't want to be..

I'm not involved in outsourcing, but I've read plenty about it and I
have friends involved in it. As a contractor, I've worked with and
competed against Indian and Eastern European contractors, so I have some
familiarity with what skills they offer and the cost involved.

> On a related note, do pensions still exist in the real world?!

I just threw that in. I don't know ;)

Mark.

--
http://hexmode.com/
Every day, mindful practice.  When the mind is disciplined, then the