Re: [Nolug] Document Management

From: Dennis J Harrison Jr <dennisharrison_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 2009 13:55:03 -0600

On Wed, Dec 2, 2009 at 1:33 PM, Dane Reugger <dane@downtownpc.com> wrote:
> Share Point Services - maybe but I would would probably need another
> server w/ licenses. I was hoping for something a little more open.
>
> I'm a fan of Google Docs but I don't think it would work well here as
> the bulk of the Docs are going to be PDFs and we prefer to keep it out
> of the cloud.
>
> But I will look at both again - Thanks,
> -Dane

Take a look at Alfresco ( http://www.alfresco.com/ ). They compete
with us very well. Their strong points are what you've mentioned with
the need for MS Office plugins, and CIFS. It uses a similar document
viewer to scridb for web based view, supports history / revisions, and
has pretty low end requirements for the server cpu time (relatively).

My opinion is that it handily beats the pants off of sharepoint.
Although the project markets itself as a CMS in a lot of places, you
would be better off looking at it as a DMS (Document Management
System).

-
Dennis