[Nolug] Fwd: Apress December 2009 Newsletter

From: Joey Kelly <joey_at_joeykelly.net>
Date: Thu, 3 Dec 2009 12:33:02 -0600

---------- Forwarded Message ----------

Subject: Apress December 2009 Newsletter
Date: Thu December 3 2009 12:16 pm
From: "Apress" <newsletters@apress.com>
To: joey@joeykelly.net

*** Apress December 2009 Newsletter ***

Welcome to Apress’ inaugural monthly Newsletter. Our mission is
to publish products that help you utilize the latest technologies
to accomplish your goal—whatever platform or language you prefer.
These monthly newsletters will keep you up-to-date on our latest
releases, best-sellers, and what we have in the works—together
with the latest tech news from conferences we’ve attended and
information on how you can join our successful User Group
Program.

Keep an eye out for this newsletter the first week of every
month, and we’ll make sure to keep you informed on what’s
happening here at Apress.

***

Master Core Data and the New APIs in iPhone SDK 3

More iPhone Development
by Dave Mark & Jeff LaMarche
http://apress.com/book/view/143022505x

More iPhone 3 Development: Tackling iPhone SDK 3 digs deeper into
Apple’s latest SDK. Best-selling authors Dave Mark and Jeff
LaMarche explain concepts as only they can, covering topics like
Core Data, peer-to-peer networking using GameKit and network
streams, working with data from the web, MapKit, in-application
e-mail, and more. All the concepts and APIs are clearly presented
with code snippets you can customize and use, as you like, in
your own apps.

***

The Latest Guides to Azure and Silverlight 3

Introducing Windows Azure
by Henry Li
http://apress.com/book/view/143022469x

Pro Silverlight3 in C#
by Matthew MacDonald
http://apress.com/book/view/1430223812

***

Latest Books

    * iPhone User Interface Design Projects
    * iPhone Advanced Projects
    * Pro Silverlight 3 in C#
    * LEGO MINDSTORMS NXT 2.0
    * Beginning BlackBerry Development

Forthcoming Books

    * Introducing .NET 4.0
    * Introducing Windows Azure
    * Learn Cocoa on the Mac
    * More iPhone 3 Development
    * Advanced BlackBerry Development

Best-sellers

   1. Pro Silverlight 3 in C#
   2. Coders at Work
   3. Beginning iPhone 3 Development: Exploring the iPhone SDK
   4. iPhone Advanced Projects
   5. CSS Mastery: Advanced Web Standards Solutions, Second
      Edition

***

Separate Your App from the Six-figure Crowd with a Striking and
Functional UI Design

iPhone User Interface Design Projects
by Joachim Bondo et al.
http://apress.com/book/view/1430223596

***

Conference News and Notes:

PASS Seattle November 2-6

Apress attended the premier SQL Server event of the year: PASS
Seattle. On display was our extensive line of SQL Server 2008
books, which included the recently released Beginning SQL Server
2008 Administration and Pro SQL Server 2008 Administration. SQL
Server is currently between big releases with release 2 due out
soon. The primary goal of the new release is to add support and
features related to business intelligence (BI). There’s also a
new focus on scalability, with support for more processors in a
single box. We were proud to be the only publisher to have a
booth in the PASS exhibit hall and are looking forward to being
a part of another worthwhile event next year.

PDC Los Angeles November 16-20

Apress was in Los Angeles for the 2009 Professional Developers
Conference organized by Microsoft. We took the opportunity to
announce the first wave of our .NET 4.0 line lead by the much
anticipated Introducing Windows Azure. As soon as the new
platform is released, Introducing .NET 4.0: with Visual Studio
2010 will follow along with two longstanding bestsellers, Pro C#
2010 and the .NET 4.0 Platform, Fifth Edition and Pro ASP.NET 4.0
in C# 2010, Fourth Edition. Silverlight was also a hot topic at
PDC as Microsoft announced that Silverlight 4 will be released
by the middle of 2010. We’re planning a comprehensive line of
Silverlight 4 books to coincide with the new release to keep you
informed of all the new features.

***

Build Ultra-Fast and Ultra-Scalable Web Sites using ASP.NET and
SQL Server

Ultra-Fast ASP.NET
by Richard Kiessig.
http://apress.com/book/view/1430223839

***

Apress User Group Spotlight

Highlights from two November User Group meetings:

MetroMac November 6

What does it take to get started in iPhone Development?
MetroMac’s November meeting featured Jeff LaMarche, best-selling
author of Beginning iPhone 3 Development and More iPhone 3
Development at the Apple Store in SoHo. Jeff provided a brief
history of programming and then covered all of the information
needed to begin developing for the iPhone and iPod Touch from
every possible programming background. He also answered a range
of audience questions, including “why hasn’t someone developed an
app that lists open parking spaces in SoHo?”

NYC .NET Developers User Group November 19

Apress hosted the November monthly meeting for the NYC .NET
Developers Group in our NY office. Navneet Srivastava from
Emerging Health Information Technology covered the basic concepts
of Parallel Programming, related patterns, demos, and .NET 4.0
support. Parallel Programming can be complex and labor-intensive,
but the manycore shift presents an unprecedented business
opportunity for developers to design new software experiences.

***

Apress User Group Program

Apress is committed to supporting the tech community. With over
1,700 registered User Groups on apress.com, there are meetings
happening every week all over the world. Why not find a user
group near you? If you run a User Group, sign up your User Group
to take advantage of our exclusive Apress User Group benefits.

For more information about the Apress User Group Program, please
visit our User Group pages.

***

Apress on Twitter

We tweet about what we're up to, what our authors are up to, and
about anything else that takes our fancy. We even offer exclusive
deals to our followers, so what are you waiting for? Come find us
at @apress.

Want to know what’s hot of the presses? We also have a new
secondary account that'll keep you informed of our books as they
publish, backing up our regular 'New Titles' RSS feed. Follow
@ApressBooks for these updates.

***

We do not send unsolicited newsletters. You received this because
you've previously bought eBooks from us, or signed up for our
newsletter at www.apress.com or at a tradeshow. To be removed
from the Apress newsletter mailing list, you can unsubscribe
here: http://app.streamsend.com/private//6IK/
yuz0ofV/unsubscribe/

For all other requests, please do not reply to this e-mail.
Instead, e-mail info@apress.com with any questions and we'll get
back to you.

Apress, 233 Spring Street, New York, NY 10013, USA