Re: [Nolug] bandwidth management question

Date: Fri, 02 Apr 2010 18:57:02 -0500

On 4/2/2010 6:23 PM, Petri Laihonen wrote:
> I assume the "node" would be same as edge?
> If so, current estimate 6-8.
>
> If it is the amount of computers on the network, I estimate about 100.
> Though majority of them would not be utilizing the entire bandwidth.
> Thus the need for the management/shaping.

> On Fri, Apr 2, 2010 at 5:15 PM, Chris Jones <techmaster@gmail.com
> <mailto:techmaster@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> Another important question is how many nodes are going to be on the
> network.
>
>> On Apr 2, 2010 6:12 PM, "Petri Laihonen" <pietu@weblizards.net
>> <mailto:pietu@weblizards.net>> wrote:
>>
>> I don't know exactly, however I'm hoping to get all needed
>> appliances, including the router for under $10K
>> Naturally less the better.... but not too cheap as it goes to the
>> realm of you get what you pay for, and at some point not even that.

There are a couple of ways this can be done. One is to put the rate
limiting on your border router and just put a Layer 2 switch with VLANs
trunked to the router. You would do the rate limiting on the LAN
interface of the router.

You could also get a router and Layer 3 switch and do the rate limiting
on the VLAN interfaces of the switch.

More questions: Do you already have your switches in place? What types
of switches are they? Have you already purchased a router for your
border device?