Re: [Nolug] bandwidth management question

From: Petri Laihonen <pietu_at_weblizards.net>
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2010 18:26:08 -0600

On Fri, Apr 2, 2010 at 5:57 PM, Jeremy Sliwinski (mailing list account) <
listbox@unix-boy.com> wrote:

> On 4/2/2010 6:23 PM, Petri Laihonen wrote:
>
>> I assume the "node" would be same as edge?
>> If so, current estimate 6-8.
>>
>> If it is the amount of computers on the network, I estimate about 100.
>> Though majority of them would not be utilizing the entire bandwidth.
>> Thus the need for the management/shaping.

>> On Fri, Apr 2, 2010 at 5:15 PM, Chris Jones <techmaster@gmail.com
>> <mailto:techmaster@gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>> Another important question is how many nodes are going to be on the
>> network.
>>
>> On Apr 2, 2010 6:12 PM, "Petri Laihonen" <pietu@weblizards.net
>>> <mailto:pietu@weblizards.net>> wrote:
>>>
>>> I don't know exactly, however I'm hoping to get all needed
>>> appliances, including the router for under $10K
>>> Naturally less the better.... but not too cheap as it goes to the
>>> realm of you get what you pay for, and at some point not even that.

> There are a couple of ways this can be done. One is to put the rate
> limiting on your border router and just put a Layer 2 switch with VLANs
> trunked to the router. You would do the rate limiting on the LAN interface
> of the router.
>
> You could also get a router and Layer 3 switch and do the rate limiting on
> the VLAN interfaces of the switch.
>
> More questions: Do you already have your switches in place? What types of
> switches are they? Have you already purchased a router for your border
> device?

At this point we are awaiting for ATT to start their part of the ditch
digging.
We have the pathway done and 3 pairs of single-mode fiber hanging in the
machine room.
Then there is a "gap", I'm looking to fill.
and a 24-port managed switch (Linksys / Cisco) which I assume is suitable
for some part in the overall hierarchy.

For some of the tenants in the building, I'm planning of providing ethernet
cable and let them decide how to go from there.

Petri