[Nolug] searching for download confirmation

From: Petri Laihonen <pietu_at_weblizards.net>
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2010 13:15:47 -0500

This is the latest thing I've been trying to search for the past week.
So far I'm inclined to the conclusion such thing can not be done.

What I'm trying to find, is a method of detecting whether or not the
download of a file was successfully completed.
The catch: I can only use the tools on the server side, no javascript or
similar available. I can use PHP though.

Found so far:
byteserving with PHP. Not usable unless client sends correct headers from
the beginning.
PHP function fpassthru(): Reports only if the client is still connected when
the file has been downloaded + is unreliable with mobile phones where
content is downloaded via wap gateway --> Status always TRUE.

Does anyone know if this kind of functionality can be done on the server
side?