[Nolug] Fwd: Streaming video server

From: Joey Kelly <joey_at_joeykelly.net>
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2010 17:04:46 -0500

From Dave...

---------- Forwarded Message ----------

Subject: Streaming video server
Date: Sat April 17 2010 4:10 pm
From: Dave Prentice <prentice@instruction.com>

Joey (or any interested party),
    A while back I installed CentOS 5.4 at your suggestion to run my
little web server. It works great, thanks.
    Lately, I have gotten some rather large videos (400 meg or larger)
that I would like to stream. The most compact file format seems to be
wmv. The user can click on them to download and then play them, but I am
unsure if I could do anything on the server side so that they could be
able to start playing them immediately (streaming) instead of waiting
for the download to complete.

    First question: is there a smaller commonly used format than wmv?
    Second question: do I need to change or install something on the
server side to allow streaming?
Thanks! - Dave P.

Minister of the Gospel and Linux Consultant