Re: [Nolug] Meeting Request

From: Chris Jones <techmaster_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 28 May 2010 16:55:52 -0500

Yeah, I'm sure Cox can't give out anything too concrete, but maybe
just some stuff to prepare. Like, for one, is there any kind of
estimate of a time frame? I know there's nothing concrete, but is
this going to happen in the next 2 years, 5 years, or are we looking
at something that drags on 10-20 years? Since most of us are techs,
we do need to start planning for our city to make the switch, though.
IPv6 is going to be a sink-or-swim situation for the IT industry,
whenever it does happen.

> I'd be willing to talk about IPv6 if you are asking (I can't tell if that's
> what you were fishing for), however there are two small problems...
>
> 1. While I'm aware of some of Cox's plans regarding IPv6, the plans I've
> seen are largely tentative and I'm not sure the company wants them public
> just yet.  I do know my job will get interesting in the next year or two
> though.
>
> 2. I'm currently in the process of studying for one hell of a CCNP exam and
> my time is currently consumed by preparing for the exam in July. Unless some
> one can/wants to lead the discussion, I'd have to wait till August. :(
>
> However, it is a good idea for a talk.   I'd argue that we should have an
> IPv4 talk prior to touching on IPv6 just for review and to crystallize some
> of the concepts that carry over.

Chris Jones
http://www.doomsdaytechnologies.com