[Nolug] uninstalling apache2

From: Ronald Giardina <general.reikan_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2010 19:35:16 -0500

I'm attempting to uninstall apache2. The goal here is to remove apache2 AS
WELL AS all config files.

sudo apt-get --purge remove apache2 apache2-utils

However, when I do this I get this message

Removing apache2.2-common ...
Purging configuration files for apache2.2-common ...
dpkg: warning: while removing apache2.2-common, directory '/var/www' not
empty so not removed.
dpkg: warning: while removing apache2.2-common, directory
'/etc/apache2/sites-available' not empty so not removed.
dpkg: warning: while removing apache2.2-common, directory '/etc/apache2' not
empty so not removed.

I've looked online and can't find a solution to this *that works*. Notice my
usage of underlining. If the explicit purpose of the purge option is to
remove a package and it's configuration files why does dpkg choke when it
finds configuration files in a folder? Educate me please!
I'll be away from my computer for the rest of night so I won't be able to
try anything, but I will be able to receive emails on my phone, fyi.

Thanks.