Re: [Nolug] Weird Asterisk (Trixbox) issue

Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2010 19:39:16 -0500

On 6/21/2010 9:53 AM, Dennis J Harrison Jr wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 20, 2010 at 11:05 PM, Jeremy (mailing list account)
> <listbox@unix-boy.com> wrote:
>> On 6/20/2010 7:43 PM, Mischa D. Krilov wrote:
>>>
>>> Does ten digit dialing work? 1-504-555-1212? What about other area
>>> codes? 1-212-555-1212, say.
>>
>> It didn't matter what number I was calling, it is was doing it.
>>
>> I tracked down the issue. For some reason my provider was trying to setup
>> a t.38 session on calls to everything but 1-800 numbers. I had to play
>> around with the trunk settings to get that to stop.
>
> Which provider? I'd like to make sure I stay away from them if this
> is the case :)

It was a matter of setting the right trunk settings. After some
digging, it seems that newer versions of Asterisk require these settings
on the trunk:

disallow = all
allow = ulaw

The instructions I was using weren't update for the most recent version
of Trixbox.

> FYI - SIP just points the RTP stream somewhere, so you would want to
> look for RTP.

Yeah, I didn't see any RTP packets initially, so I was reading through
the fields in the SIP packets. I was amazed how much easier it is to
determine VoIP problems with a strategically placed ethernet tap and
Wireshark.