Re: [Nolug] Weird Asterisk (Trixbox) issue

From: Dennis J Harrison Jr <dennisharrison_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2010 09:53:38 -0500

On Sun, Jun 20, 2010 at 11:05 PM, Jeremy (mailing list account)
<listbox@unix-boy.com> wrote:
> On 6/20/2010 7:43 PM, Mischa D. Krilov wrote:
>>
>> Does ten digit dialing work? 1-504-555-1212? What about other area
>> codes? 1-212-555-1212, say.
>
> It didn't matter what number I was calling, it is was doing it.
>
> I tracked down the issue.   For some reason my provider was trying to setup
> a t.38 session on calls to everything but 1-800 numbers.   I had to play
> around with the trunk settings to get that to stop.

Which provider? I'd like to make sure I stay away from them if this
is the case :)

> Once that was corrected, I had one way audio.   Apparently I didn't need to
> have the Trixbox setup for NAT even though all the documentation said it was
> required for systems behind firewalls.

This depends on whether or not STUN is in use and what your proposed expiry is.

> Everything's working now...

>>> On Jun 20, 2010 6:58 PM, "Jeremy (mailing list account)"
>>> <listbox@unix-boy.com <mailto:listbox@unix-boy.com>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Ok folks,
>>>
>>> I've got a really weird Trixbox related question for the list.
>>>
>>> I've got a Trixbox 2.8 system setup in a VM and working.   I got it to
>>> connect to my SIP provider and can see that I'm registered on both
>>> sides and I can receive inbound calls without issues - phone rings,
>>> audio is fine, etc.
>>>
>>> This is where it gets weird.  When I make an outbound call to either a
>>> 985 or 504 telephone number, I have no audio - they can't hear me and
>>> I can't hear them.   However, if I make a phone call to a 1-800
>>> number, it works like a charm.
>>>
>>> I've gone as far as setting up a sniffer on the WAN side of my Cisco
>>> router and can see SIP packets in BOTH directions, so there doesn't
>>> seem to be a problem with the SIP trunk.
FYI - SIP just points the RTP stream somewhere, so you would want to
look for RTP.