Re: [Nolug] uninstalling apache2

From: Shannon Roddy <sroddy_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2010 14:55:40 -0500

My beefs with CentOS/RHEL are many... and I used to be a RedHat fan. I ran
slackware in the 90s, then RedHat around the RH 6.x days through 9. Then
fedora, RHEL, and CentOS. I ditched them for debian based systems a few
years ago and never look back until I have to support CentOS or our legacy
RHEL systems for one reason or another.

OpenLDAP is broken.
RHEL chews up VMware and VMs and spits them back.
Quite a few packages are ancient and therefore broken... I understand the
compromise between rapid releases and enterprise stability but RH is just
glacial and they keep packages around with serious bugs in them (OpenLDAP,
etc.). For OpenLDAP, try running the replication or translucent proxy
modules on CentOS... it's just broken. I've heard of folks posting to the
OpenLDAP list for support and they will not help you until you replace the
native RH packages. I've seen it break... I don't have that problem on
other distros. I've also seen kerberos bugs that create serious problems.

More problems than I care to spend cycles on explaining... but many of us
have come to the conclusion that for doing the sort of things that we are
doing, CentOS is hopeless. Other people I know have run into distinct
issues that we simply don't have on a debian based distro.

This is not to say I think other distributions are perfect... but they are
less painful *for me* and my applications than CentOS.