Re: [Nolug] uninstalling apache2

From: James Hess <mysidia_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2010 17:02:37 -0500

On Fri, Jul 2, 2010 at 2:55 PM, Shannon Roddy <sroddy@gmail.com> wrote:
> OpenLDAP is broken.
umm.. are you sure? Seemed to work just fine for me... However, I
will agree that SELinux on RH is a bit broken, you have to jump
through hoops, and define custom policies to get even stock packages
like LDAP and Samba working in stock configs.

> RHEL chews up VMware and VMs and spits them back.
care to elaborate?

> Quite a few packages are ancient and therefore broken...  I understand the
> compromise between rapid releases and enterprise stability but RH is just
> glacial and they keep packages around with serious bugs in them (OpenLDAP,

You know what my biggest issue with RH is?
No XFS support in the base distribution. Oh yeah, the kernel has the
xfs modules built in, but it's not officially supported.
You can't even get access to the xfsprogs, it's a "Layered product"

With an Ubuntu or Debian install, you don't seem to have to pay
extra to get "layered products"
for basic functionality, like XFS GFS, clustering, virtualization, etc

At least CentOS doesn't have any of that foolishness, they don't
have "editions" or restrictions on which RPMs you can have access to
 like RHN does.

--
-Mysid