Re: [Nolug] Re: Need a little help, server side :)

From: Dennis J Harrison Jr <dennisharrison_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2010 14:44:51 -0500

On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 9:19 AM, Curtis "cSc" Smith
<kman922002@gmail.com> wrote:
> Kind sir, I'd highly advise quitting your horrible attempt at flaming,
> trolling, or being an ass. Whichever suits your fancy. This is the
> internet, with the added fact of locality. In other words, I will not
> hesitate to punch you in the face. If you've got nothing positive to
> contribute, consider stuffing your face with packaging peanuts.

Seriously? Did you just threaten to punch someone in the face because
you're insecure? And yet, I get all sorts of butthurt messages when I
use profanity? This is awesome. I'll show up to a meeting again one
day. You bring your packing peanuts.

> As for the rest of the input, I'm more than likely going to use a
> combination of forced proxy, being squid, and opendns until I find a
> better solution. Also, the reason it is required to run on one machine
> is because that machine could be anywhere, and the primary residence
> is a hotel room.

Yeah, you're better off using a dynamic dns pointer and opendns
filtering (this will keep your block list organized and auto updated -
with the ability for manual management as well). Much easier than
living behind a squid proxy. Unless you just want the added
complexity because you have nothing better to do with your time. In
which case, I'd suggest using a bridged virtual machine running netbsd
and ipfw or pf. Also, if you're looking to use squid as a caching
proxy - examine lusca-cache, it's a branch of squid with bits and
pieces for caching cdn content as well (it works - mostly).