Re: [Nolug] Supercomputing conference in NOLA Nov.13-19

From: B. Estrade <estrabd_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2010 21:46:04 +0000

On Fri, Sep 24, 2010 at 03:36:23PM -0600, Lee S. Whatley wrote:
> On Fri, 24 Sep 2010, Simon Dorfman wrote:
> >Not cheap (unless you're a student), but looks interesting. For example, a
> >talk on Linux Cluster Construction:
> >http://sc10.supercomputing.org/schedule/event_detail.php?evid=tut103
> >
> >Registration prices:
> >http://sc10.supercomputing.org/?pg=registration.html
> >-Simon
>
> I've been to several SC conferences, and I can attest that they are pretty
> cool. I'm not sure yet if I'll be going this year- work ususally rotates
> out who gets to go every year.
>
> The "exhibits only" pass is $100, and is totally worth the money. I
> wouldn't bother spending the $ to get into the technical sessions or
> tutorials unless your company is going to pay for it. If you do get a
> tech session pass be sure to go to the after-party for tech session people
> though. In fact, try to get into any after-parties you can - many of the
> big vendors (Cray, SGI, Microsoft, Dell, IBM, etc.) throw some pretty cool
> parties.
>
> My work will have a booth at the show (we're booth #2523 - DoD HPCMP). So
> stop by and take some free stuff from us ;)

I'll likely stop by. I used the NAVO MSRC quite a bit back in the day.
I'll be spending some time at the OpenMP booth - maybe another one or
two.

And the technical sessions are worth it for certain things, depending
on who is giving them.

And don't forget about the "Beowulf Bash" that seems to be an annual
event.

Brett