Re: [Nolug] Mac OS X to make an appearance at the next meeting.... maybe.

From: Yuji Yamano <yyamano_at_kt.rim.or.jp>
Date: Thu, 07 Nov 2002 02:28:10 +0900 (JST)

Eddie Benson <ebenson@ebo.net> writes:

> > Yeppers, OS X is based on the BSDs kernels, specifically FreBSD
> > (bleh, but I won't complain). Its not very visible under Aqua,
> > but if you are like me and use the shell 90% of the time, you
> > start to notice that everything has the BSD feel (flags, etc.).
>
> What shells are available?

yyamano@bootzilla% uname -a
Darwin localhost 5.2 Darwin Kernel Version 5.2: Fri Dec 7 21:39:35 PST 2001; root:xnu/xnu-201.14.obj~1/RELEASE_PPC Power Macintosh powerpc
yyamano@bootzilla% cd /bin
yyamano@bootzilla% ls *sh
csh sh tcsh zsh

Strictly, Mac OS X kernel is not based on BSD. It's based on Mach with
BSD component (userland were taken from FreeBSD and libraries are
frozzm NetBSD, I think). But for a user, not a kernel hacker and an
administrator, It's almost same as BSD, I believe.

--
Yuji Yamano <yyamano@kt.rim.or.jp>
    Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.  --William S. Burroughs