Re: [Nolug] They say that no good turn goes unpunished...

From: Jeremy <listbox_at_unix-boy.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2011 10:36:23 -0500

On 4/11/2011 12:03 AM, Jerry Wilborn wrote:
> > And there is the great fallacy of the internet. Every opinion must
> be voiced.
>
> Ahh, irony.
>
> Jerry Wilborn
> jerrywilborn@gmail.com <mailto:jerrywilborn@gmail.com>

Yes, I realize the irony in having made that statement... :P I made
it because I'm honestly concerned about what affect internet has had on
the modern world. Tired, old, discredit crackpot theories can now be
resurrected and gain a new following on the Internet. New crackpot
bunkum spreads like wildfire and maintains a following despite being
discredited (ala the 2012 doomsday). It is now easier to scam people or
commit fraud selling bunk junk. The level of narcissism on the web is
seemingly growing now that anyone can jabber away*. The signal to noise
ratio obviously gets worse and worse because of the amount of
bad/incorrect information. The level of voluntary sharing that is
becoming the norm seems to cheapen the concept of privacy.

Yeah, the internet is probably the greatest communications and
information retrieval tool to have been built, but I'm concerned that
having given "everyone a voice" may have had deleterious effects on that
tool.

Or maybe I'm wrong... Or maybe no one cares. Ehh.

*http://tweetingtoohard.com/