Re: [Nolug] Qimo question

From: Clint Billedeaux <clint_at_fastbadge.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2011 07:28:33 -0500

On Tue, Apr 12, 2011 at 10:40 PM, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> wrote:

> Couldn't you install the iso to a thumb drive using the same procedures
> that you'd use to install an Ubuntu iso to a thub drive?
>
> Yeah. After reading their site twice, I realized if I can do trials from a
CD, I could do it with a thumb drive.

> Slightly changing topics: are your children that young? My kids
> effectively used Linux at 5-6 years old after a bit of mouse training.
>
> My daughter is going to be 4 in June and she's been using the computer for
the last year quite well. I'm just wondering what's out there that might
make her feel a little more like it's her system.

> You could probably get the same effect by customizing the GNOME Panels
> their account to be in some sort of kiosk mode with only a few available
> programs. (And it would have the side benefit of starting them young on the
> concepts of "my account" and "secret password". (Obviously, theirs were
> Very Short. "dog" and "cat" were, I think, their first passwords.
>
> But you're right, I could probably just customize her account. Isn't it
funny how your kids take 5 minutes to learn how to do stuff that your
parents can't remember for more than 5 minutes?

I was just thinking of using Qimo as a shortcut to having to do all of that,
and with a thumb drive installation, she could take it with her and use it
wherever she goes. I mean there's computers everywhere these days, and I
think she's ready for the idea that you can restart a computer and select
the USB drive to boot from.