[Nolug] Any VLAN experts out there?

From: Chris Jones <techmaster_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 4 May 2011 14:13:47 -0500

I'm running into an odd issue at one of my sites. We're trying to set them
up with cable modem internet through charter, but we have some serious
physical limitations to their network, which basically result in us having
to set this up in a fairly complicated manner.

We have 2 managed VLAN switches. One goes in each of 2 locations, and they
will be linked together via uplink/stacking ports. Here's how the signal
flow works:

- Charter goes into a port untagged for VLAN10 on Switch A
- Charter goes out thru the trunk port of Switch A that is tagged for all
relevant VLAN's
- Charter goes into the trunk port of Switch B
- Charter goes out of an untagged port on Switch B and into the router

Problem is, this is not working. It seems like the managed switches are
doing something to the packets that the Charter modem does not like,
screwing with MAC addresses or something. Does anyone know anything that
may help me out here? Is there something I need to turn on in the switches
to keep them from interfering with this traffic?