Re: [Nolug] Re: cPanel?

From: Patrick <pmheart6_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 23 May 2011 11:16:26 -0700 (PDT)

I kinda wish it told you what it was doing, so I could do it myself too. I am a big command line person, its very low bandwidth, but is more low latency dependent. At least if the cPanel told you what it was doing, you could try out the other options with the command line. I find sometimes I am able to find stuff because its in the GUI, but when I need to find more because the GUI is lacking, I no longer remember the command line entries to look for options, (NOTE I don't do complex greps and scripts, just extra switches all of which could be put into the GUI), but pipes, long entries, and stuff can't. I stopped using linux on my own computers when red hat started forcing the gui. I started getting frustrated when it knew how it set it, but I only knew the command line, then we kept fighting and head butting each other because I wanted it my way, and we each did it differently often breaking the others settings GUI vs CLI. (NOTE on other computers, I don't admin, just am a user on other people's servers) I think Estrade has a partial point. But the difference with the cPanel I mostly see is the front end on web servers where they don't let you use every little switch. Its there way of letting you do stuff without allowing you access to that part of the CLI. As a web host user many CLI's are so crippled a cPanel is extra stuff. (I hate godaddy's cage, but bluehost/hostmonster's CLI is great for a shared system as it should be) -- Patrick M. BLA/LMT -- Rigger Communications & Media Consult -- Massage Therapist PnM Resources -- Follow me #: 800-901-1089 --- On Mon, 5/23/11, B. Estrade <estrabd@gmail.com> wrote: > From: B. Estrade <estrabd@gmail.com> > Subject: Re: [Nolug] Re: cPanel? > To: nolug@nolug.org > Date: Monday, May 23, 2011, 12:50 PM > My impression is that the primary > value-add of cPanel is that is > greatly reduces support costs of a web host for the common > cases. > > Brett > > On Mon, May 23, 2011 at 10:53:13AM -0700, Dustin Puryear > wrote: > > He made a direct link between an obscure option in a > configuration file and it being an obscure setting in a GUI > or WebUI. That happens sometimes, certainly, but it's not a > 1-to-1 mapping. In other words, it doesn't HAVE to be the > case. > > > > Regardless, to me, an interface like cPanel has > several advantages, one of which is that it greatly reduces > the typo-caused calamity/explosions that we all know and > love. "Reduces." I know there are word-hawks here. > "Reduces." > > > > > > -----Original Message----- > > From: owner-nolug@stoney.kellynet.org > [mailto:owner-nolug@stoney.kellynet.org] > On Behalf Of Mark A. Hershberger > > Sent: Monday, May 23, 2011 11:30 AM > > To: nolug@nolug.org > > Subject: [Nolug] Re: cPanel? > > > > Dustin Puryear <dpuryear@puryear-it.com> > writes: > > > > >> Devil's Advocacy: if it's an obscure option > in a config file, wouldn't > > >> it be an obscure option hidden deep in some > menu structure? > > > > > Nope. > > > > Why not?  I've never seen a UI so well designed > that every possible > > action was easily and quickly discoverable by a first > time user. > > > > UIs have to make trade-offs.  In the case of > CPanel, some things that > > the CLI allows you to do things that are simply > impossible in CPanel. > > > > And you would never know that if your only exposure is > via CPanel. > > Someone asks for rarely-used scenario ???X??? and > you'll say ???not possible, > > but try Y which is probably what you want anyway???. > > > > Meanwhile, the person who is used to CLI access might > say ???Hrm??? let me > > see what I can do.??? > > > > Flexibility comes at a cost to usability.  There > is a huge mental tax > > that people pay to get ultimate flexibility.  It > is fine to say ???I don't > > want to pay it.???  It is something I've learned > to say as I've gotten > > older.  This doesn't mean I am dumber or lazier, > it just means I have > > found other priorities. > > > > Mark. > > > > -- > > http://hexmode.com/ > > > > War begins by calling for the annihilation of the > Other, > >     but ends ultimately in > self-annihilation. > > ___________________ > > Nolug mailing list > > nolug@nolug.org > > > > ????????????????[?????x%??g?[??z%?? > > > > -- > B. Estrade <estrabd@gmail.com> > ___________________ > Nolug mailing list > nolug@nolug.org >