Re: [Nolug] Re: MetairieComputers.com for Sale

From: B. Estrade <estrabd_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 4 Jun 2011 11:30:10 -0500

On Sat, Jun 04, 2011 at 11:20:55AM -0400, Mark A. Hershberger wrote:
> Jeremy <listbox@unix-boy.com> writes:
>
> > So no, you are right, it isn't the local color that makes folks
> > compare New Orleans to the third world. It goes way beyond that.
> > The local color just seems like salt in the gaping wound because some
> > of the local color here doesn't help the image of the area.
>
> Sure, I get the ???salt in the wound??? bit. I left NOLA a little over a
> year before Katrina. I still love New Orleans, but the politics of the
> city and Louisiana as a whole are, in a word, insane.

NOLA's slogan should be: "Hey, at least we're not Detroit" (could also
go to compare Saints vs Lions in a rotten year:).

But I think you guys are being unrealistically harsh on the City.
If you forget about the politics and bullshit, and you get a truly unique
city that is able to capture one's soul like few in the World can.

My wife and I left New Orleans 6 weeks before Katrina so that she
could go back to school in Baton Rouge. Here we are over 6 years
later - now in Houston - and we're still homesick. There's little
opportunity for us both there, but we maintain that "one day" we'll
make it back...likely when we're retired and don't have to worry about
an income, I am sure.

It's easy to make fun of and criticize the City, but one reason I stay
on this list is because it is the LUG for New Orleans. It's the same
reason I go to NOLA.com or watch WWLTV news webcasts on occasion - I
miss it. And I am damn jealous of all you people who are lucky enough
to live there. So before you minimize the glory of the City, realize
there are a lot of people who would gladly live there (again) if they
could.

A friend of mine, also from NOLA, was arguing with a mutual friend
(from Atlanta) about which city was better. Sure, ATL has nearly
everything any other city has over New Orleans. But my NOLA friend won
the argument cleanly, simply by asking the question: HOW MAN SONGS
HAVE EVER BEEN WRITTIN ABOUT ATLANTA? For me, this was checkmate - and
I think that there are very few cities in the World (let alone this
Country) that can stand up in this way to a city that inspires so much
from so many people.

And what it comes down to is that New Orleans is a city that should
have never been and that should have died many times before Katrina.
But for some reason, it remains - warts, farts, and all. And I still
love it.

The Choco-city Sermon is now over. Amen. :)

Brett