[Nolug] November 2002 NOLUG meeting notes

From: J. Kent Busbee, Jr. <buz_at_penwel.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 12:16:20 -0600

If you missed last nights meeting, here is what you missed:

Talk about spam assassin, a perl script which adds *** SPAM *** to the
subject of spam in your inbox. It can be run on Linux (and FreeBSD I'm
sure). You can run it on windows using cygwin. You could also run it
on your mail server.

Joey also showed us a neat trick, using ssh and port redirection to VNC
(pc-anywhere type shareware) to a system behind a firewall from a system
behind another firewall. The ssh command is something like:

<A> = the pc you are working on

<B> = the firewall on the network you are working on

<C> = the firewall on the network you are trying to get to

<D> = the pc you are trying to get to

ssh -c <C> 5900:<D>:5900

-c is for compression which makes things a little faster

Then you use VNC viewer on your own 5900 port, localhost or 127.0.0.1.
If you are running VNC server on the PC that you are currently on, then
replace the first 5900 with 5960 and view to that port on your own
server instead.

On windows he suggests using Putty, and I do too. Putty is a ssh client
which allows you to do port redirection, very nice. You click on the
setup under Connetion/SSH/Tunnels and put in 5900 (or 5960) in source
port then <D>:5900 in the destination box (where <D> is the IP address
of the pc you are trying to get to, click on the Local radial selection
and click the add button. Use VNC viewer on localhost and viola.

Finally, we discussed meeting for dinner next month instead of lecture.
Chinese buffet was mentioned as an option and we are looking for
suggestions.