Re: [Nolug] COBOL

From: Brad Bendily <bendily_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2011 15:23:20 -0500

Maybe you can find some older college professors and pay them on the
side for some tutoring time.
Or maybe take a class. I took a COBOL/Fortran class at SLU, but i
dunno if it's still offered.
I'm pretty sure the instructor is still there though. I can find his
name if you're interested.

bb

On Mon, Sep 19, 2011 at 3:06 PM, Clint Billedeaux <clint@fastbadge.com> wrote:
> After spending a couple hours looking online, I'm convinced that learning
> COBOL is going to be a costly adventure.  It might have been worth the time
> and money to pay someone to guide me through learning it, but getting set up
> to get any hands on experience is expensive.  I looked at a few Open Source
> initiatives, but still...
>
> On Mon, Sep 19, 2011 at 7:32 AM, Bart Pittari <pittari@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Someone I work with has this on their shelf:
>>
>> COBOL for the 21st Century
>>
>> On Sun, Sep 18, 2011 at 5:31 PM, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> On 09/17/2011 09:30 PM, Jimmy Hess wrote:
>>> [snip]

>>> Bah!
>>>
>>> The Shelly & Cashman books from the early 1980s *sucked*.  Their
>>> obsession with GOTO-less programming absolutely *destroyed* the language's
>>> reputation.
>>>
>>> Once I got into the Real World, really competent professionals taught me
>>> how great COBOL is at the task it was designed for.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Supporting World Peace Through Nuclear Pacification

Have Mercy & Say Yeah