Re: [Nolug] Nook Color vs Kindle Fire

From: David Bruce <davidstuartbruce_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2011 13:27:44 -0500

Hi,

>> > Any opinions on a Nook Color vs Kindle Fire?  (The latter is not out yet
>> > obviously but curious what others think).

I received a Nook Color as a gift from my wife a couple of months ago,
and I really like it, although I've never looked at an e-ink device to
compare. The standard software generally works as intended. One nice
feature is the micro-SDHC slot, making it feasible to store several
gigs of music on the device so you can listen as you read, if you
like. Also, you can boot a straight Android system from the SD card
without rooting the device or voiding your warranty. I've tried that
a bit, but so far I prefer keeping the regular software. As a
general-purpose Android tablet, it is quite nice, but not as nice as
our ipad2.

It is simple and nearly seamless to shop for books through the B&N
Nook online store, but you can also use the device to read free
epub-format ebooks from e.g. Project Gutenberg if you like. You just
have to copy the books onto the Nook or your SD card using another
computer, at least if you want them to show up in the device's
"library".

Basically, I use it for reading, music, some simple games, and limited
web browsing.

--
David Bruce
For all your software needs, visit The Apt Store: