Re: [Nolug] Nook Color vs Kindle Fire

From: Clint Billedeaux <clint_at_fastbadge.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2011 08:38:00 -0500

On Mon, Oct 3, 2011 at 7:47 PM, Jimmy Hess <mysidia@gmail.com> wrote:

> n Mon, Oct 3, 2011 at 9:32 AM, B. Estrade <estrabd@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Sat, Oct 01, 2011 at 09:39:57AM -0500, Jonathan Roberts wrote:
> > tablet. If Amazon figured out how to make color e-ink and make it into
> > a touch screen, then more power to them.
>
> Neither here nor there... the Kindle Fire is color, but not an E ink
> corporation display.
> The technology is not an E-paper based technology, but an IPS based
> technology,
> similar to Ipad 2.
> It is actually to be an Android tablet based on Amazon's forked Gingerbread
> based OS. I would be very interested in it, if they hadn't decided to
> lock
> it Amazon's own app store. I am afraid it would be a very cool device,
> but Amazon will have ruined it by locking it down and not allowing the user
> to customize it by installing third-party apps, or providing an easy way
> change the OS on it.

To be fair, the specs for this tablet don't warrant the low price. Amazon
is just doing what Nintendo, Sega, Sony, and Microsoft have done. They're
cutting a deal on the hardware and limiting your source of content. You
don't want the limitation, spend an extra $300 or more to get unlocked
hardware. I totally agree with what Amazon has done with the Kindle Fire,
because hardware is not like software. (not that I'm endorsing intellectual
property theft) But producing the millionth Kindle Fire actually consumes
resources. The millionth copy of Excel on the other hand...