Re: [Nolug] Nook Color vs Kindle Fire

From: Jimmy Hess <mysidia_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2011 19:47:09 -0500

n Mon, Oct 3, 2011 at 9:32 AM, B. Estrade <estrabd@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 01, 2011 at 09:39:57AM -0500, Jonathan Roberts wrote:
> tablet. If Amazon figured out how to make color e-ink and make it into
> a touch screen, then more power to them.

Neither here nor there... the Kindle Fire is color, but not an E ink
corporation display.
The technology is not an E-paper based technology, but an IPS based technology,
similar to Ipad 2.
It is actually to be an Android tablet based on Amazon's forked Gingerbread
based OS. I would be very interested in it, if they hadn't decided to lock
it Amazon's own app store. I am afraid it would be a very cool device,
but Amazon will have ruined it by locking it down and not allowing the user
to customize it by installing third-party apps, or providing an easy way to
change the OS on it.

Amazon doesn't invent the e-paper display, last I heard, they license /
buy each display. E ink corporation is the name of the company that
has the patents to the concept and operation of an e-paper display,
and from what I understand, there are high costs per inch of E ink
display that are attributable to their supplier's intellectual property,
even though the material costs/labor required to make each display
may be low.

Hence the high costs of such a small simple device as the kindle....
There is a brand new COLOR E ink display called "E ink Triton Imaging Film",
but I believe the color displays are even more expensive.

Anyways... E paper based displays have the problem of low refresh rates,
which although much more power efficient, presents difficulties consuming
video content on the device.

--
-JH