Re: [Nolug] Nook Color vs Kindle Fire

From: B. Estrade <estrabd_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2011 09:29:42 -0500

On Tue, Oct 04, 2011 at 09:08:51AM -0500, Joey Kelly wrote:
> On Tuesday 04 October 2011 08:38, Clint Billedeaux wrote:
>

>> To be fair, the specs for this tablet don't warrant the low price. Amazon
>> is just doing what Nintendo, Sega, Sony, and Microsoft have done. They're
>> cutting a deal on the hardware and limiting your source of content. You
>> don't want the limitation, spend an extra $300 or more to get unlocked
>> hardware.
>
> But booting off a card gets around that, surely?

You guys are missing the point. E-ink is a fundamentally different
display technology with the goal of providing the same experience one
gets from printed paper. It's not meant to be a tablet. It's meant to
be a book.

        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E_Ink
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_paper

Imagine if "printing" turned into a transmitting a document to a stack
of electronic-pages? You'd go from a single display (i.e., the
kindle), to a reusable document (i.e., multiple leaves). For me, this
would be awesome...and something that not even OLDs or flexible
displays would be able to recreate because you'd feel like you were
not looking at paper but a digital display. The idea is to hide the
fact that it is digital or dynamic at all.

If you want a tablet, you have many other options. I wouldn't look at
a Nook. That's just me, though.

Brett