Re: [Nolug] Systems Engineer (Unix/Linux)

From: Jimmy Hess <mysidia_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2012 16:14:54 -0600

On Sat, Jan 14, 2012 at 4:05 AM, Gilberto Martins
<gsilva.martins@gmail.com>wrote:

> I do not use Windows, thus I have no Word installed (Office via wine
> is really not the same, nor correct if I do not have to pay for it).

I can appreciate that, but many businesses have adopted Word as their
standard word processor for many business functions, including policy
documents and HR's work.

It's likely that even a Linux/UNIX system engineer hired in many
organizations would have to use Word and other Windows software to
communicate with users that have Windows on the desktop.

Yes, I can write in OOffice and save in Word format. But everybody
> knows that this file read in Office most always is not okay, or well
> formated.
> Worst, MS Office format is not a world standard. PDF is.

If you don't have a single Windows system, then I would suggest borrowing
the use of a friend's computer to type the document; hire someone else to
do the document work, rent a Windows laptop, find a library with a Windows
PC available for public use, etc.

If I were hiring for a UNIX system engineer post; I sure wouldn't be very
interested in an applicant who was so Windows-resistant that they
couldn't get such a simple task done within requirements.

There are lots of ways to get the document made without failing to meet
requirements, installing Windows on your PC, or having to utilize a
suboptimal solution.

Just sending a PDF, at least without calling to ask for permission first,
would send a message that you just didn't care enough. "The
client/employer has to accommodate your needs instead of vice-versa".

Gilberto Martins

> --
-JH