Re: [Nolug] Monitor incoming files and...

From: Clint Billedeaux <clint_at_fastbadge.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2012 15:07:13 -0500

On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 12:33 PM, B. Estrade <estrabd@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 12:09:05PM -0500, Clint Billedeaux wrote:
> > I've been working on a small piece of code in C# that monitors the
> > filesystem for created .txt files in a specific folder. Then I
> > realized...I'M INSANE. I'm writing a windows service to run on a windows
> > machine to watch files created on a Linux fileserver.
> >
> > So maybe retarded is a more accurate word than insane...Your opinion will
> > be properly stored => dev.null
> >
> > Anyway. Not as familiar with automating tasks on Linux, I'm out of my
> > element.
> >
> > Here's what I'm looking for:
> >
> > Whenever a .txt file is created in my folder on the Linux fileserver,
> Linux
> > needs to catch it, and encode the file using Windows codepage-1252, then
> > finish saving the file.
> >
> > I'm perfectly willing to catch the file in one directory, make the
> encoding
> > modification, and store it in a different directory, since I don't want
> the
> > box getting caught up in an infinite catch/save loop.
> >
> > This sounds simple to me, but I couldn't get the Website Dev guys to make
> > the website encode the files using codepage-1252, so I won't be shocked
> if
> > this group comes back with no answer. But I sure would love even a nudge
> > in the right direction.
>
> So this can't be part of the upload process?

Our website collects some data from our customers, and it would be
fantastic if the original file was created using cp1252. Which is why I
asked our website developer to make the website handle the encoding this
way.

They have twice said they fixed it, and it still isn't getting encoded
properly.

These .txt files are emailed to us and are automatically downloaded to an
incoming folder on the linux server by a piece of software running on a
windows machine that is handling the printing and saving of work orders.

While it would be nice to keep emailing our guys in India and begging them
to fix it until they succeed, I'm much happier to use it as a learning
experience for me.