Re: [Nolug] playing a movie

From: Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson_at_cox.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2012 20:11:12 -0500

On 07/10/2012 07:34 PM, Randy Wild wrote:
> Having trouble playing a movie file after upgrade from Ubuntu 10.04 to
> 11.04.
> The first error was "an error occurred - Gstreamer encountered a general
> resource error".

That's unhelpfully generic.

> I fixed that by going to Ubuntu Software Center and installing all
> plugins related to GStreamer and the error went away.
>
> The current problem is when I try to play a movie file, Video_TS.VOB
> 156.0 Kb, MPEG (Open with Totem Movie Player v2.32.0), it just sits in
> PAUSE and won't play. The first screen of the movie is showing, but it
> stays on PAUSE.
> Also shows (Streaming) in parenthesis. The file is on my hard drive,
> not on the Internet, so there should be no streaming involved.
> I tried a second movie file (also on the hard drive) in case the first
> was corrupt. Same thing happened.
>
> Details: 999.5 RAM, Pentium 4.

Rule 1: when having audio/video troubles: try with some other software.

Rule 1a: descend to the CLI. You'll usually see better error message
that way.

--
"There is usually only a limited amount of damage that can be
done by dull or stupid people. For creating a truly monumental