Re: [Nolug] Network Monitoring tool

From: Shannon Roddy <sroddy_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2012 09:42:44 -0500

On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 4:27 PM, Chris Jones <techmaster@gmail.com> wrote:

> Does anybody know a good free network monitoring tool? I know this is
> NOLUG, but honestly I'd prefer something that runs as a Windows service,
> and just pings a list of IP addresses at regular intervals. If something
> goes down, send an email.
>
> Simple enough. Best option I'm seeing right now is to just set up a
> machine running Zenoss, but I'd love a simpler option, as Zenoss is
> probably overkill for what I need at this time. I know someone out there
> has to have a good recommendation for this.

Solarwinds has some free and trial network monitors. Their stuff is
exclusively windows I believe. Some of it is pretty good if you're a
windows diehard. http://www.solarwinds.com/downloads/

Nagios has a windows/cygwin package. It's called nagwin.
http://www.nagios.org/news/77-news-announcements/273-introducing-nagwin-nagios-for-windows

I ran a trial of this once before:
http://www.whatsupgold.com/products/whatsup-gold-core/comparison.aspx

I don't know anything about it, but there is a MS product for this too.
http://www.microsoft.com/en-in/server-cloud/system-center/operations-manager.aspx

And then there is the usual gamut of free/share/adware out there for
Windows. Of which I don't really have any direct experience for a number
of years.