Re: [Nolug] Nolug on G+?

From: Jess Planck <jesse.planck_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2012 10:39:10 -0500

It is very true that social media integration with websites works well for those willing to spend the effort and time. Before the social mess-edia that we have now, your only channels were the search engines and directly listings. Social media sites are now giving a targeted location for those eyeballs, and it's free (in exchange for a measure of your privacy sliced up for targeted advertising)

For those that take it further, the integration opens up additional areas broadening the reach of discussion. The only true downsides are the effort required for the integration and time spent keeping the communication going. The good part is that for organizations like NOLUG the effort can be as much or as little as desired. In most OSS web CMS tools this is accomplished trivially with modules and plugins already developed by some decent developers.

Just don't be that <unnamed local business> that posts to <facebook page> constantly thinking in ignorance they are reaching an audience when they are actually just flooding social media worker/admin inboxes with their weekly/daily/hourly specials. ;)

Jess