Re: [Nolug] Nolug on G+?

From: Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson_at_cox.net>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2012 11:40:46 -0500

On 08/13/2012 08:25 AM, B. Estrade wrote:
[snip]

> I thought about this because I see these tech boom articles about New
> Orleans, but it seems like they don't know there has been a *nix
> presence in NOLA for *years. I thought under this right might could
> use some sunlight.

Presence is one thing, but the size of that presence is another matter.

> BRLUG has a FB page and it's locked down well. I do like G+ for
> technical people.

How much traffic does it get?

> I'm just trying to suggest some ways to get noticed and take some
> credit for the "boom" - unless there is none to be created. I could be
> wrong.
>
> Being a curmudgeon serves no one well 100% of the time, and if I
> could think of a good reason to have FB or G+ at this point, it's because
> perhaps it will be free of said surliness.

I hate to say it, but LUGs just aren't that necessary anymore since (a)
h/w support and auto-configuration got Good Enough that distros just
automagically install on everything except very old or very odd h/w, and
(b) there's so much online documentation and examples all of the CLI tools.

--
If adults of legally sound mind must be told what foods they
are not allowed to buy, then those people are not competent