Re: [Nolug] Nolug on G+?

From: B. Estrade <estrabd_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2012 08:25:43 -0500

On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 12:37:46AM -0500, Jimmy Hess wrote:
> On 8/12/12, Joey Kelly <joey@joeykelly.net> wrote:
> > How much spam have we gotten in the last, oh, 13 years? How many "me too!"
> > posts?
> > My point is this... forums (we had one, years ago) and facebook offer little
> > to no barrier to entry... it seems to me that mailing lists seem to weed out
>
> Yes, but that's both an advantage and a disadvantage.
> Higher barrier entry = you fly under the radar, but fewer people
> become aware of your existence = fewer users = smaller quantity of
> input as well.

G+ is for more targeted, technical entities.

I thought about this because I see these tech boom articles about New
Orleans, but it seems like they don't know there has been a *nix
presence in NOLA for *years. I thought under this right might could
use some sunlight.

BRLUG has a FB page and it's locked down well. I do like G+ for
technical people.

I'm just trying to suggest some ways to get noticed and take some
credit for the "boom" - unless there is none to be created. I could be
wrong.

Being a curmudgeon serves no one well 100% of the time, and if I
could think of a good reason to have FB or G+ at this point, it's because
perhaps it will be free of said surliness.

Brett

> I know that spammers target addresses I have subscribed only to
> mailing lists, probably by extracting From e-mail addresses of posts
> that are printed in public archives with only the most trivial of
> address obfuscation techniques, such as "user_at_example.com" or
> "user at example.com".
>
> And very few cases where a spammer ever subb'ed directly to a list --
> it's really no surprise that there would be little direct spam; ask
> that question when your mailing list has 50000 members maybe.
>

> > the idiots and the drive-by cluelessness that forums breed.
>
> Use the right tool for the right job.
>
> Forums have another problem, in that keeping a reliable personal copy
> of the discussion for future reference is very inefficient for users,
> participants are forced to use a web browser to compose responses
> which has quirks like no way to save a draft, in-progress work is
> lost if browser crashes or login session times out; forum software
> is also often architected in a manner that allows people to "tamper"
> with the conversation, for example, by deleting or changing
> content after it's been sent, or "freezing" a discussion so new
> content can be added, even when there is still beneficial input to be
> made.
>
> And pages become cluttered with annoyances such as HTML, "avatars"
> and graphical signatures. In other words: not all bells and
> whistles are good ones.
>

> I would say that Forums and Social networking sites are for very short
> temporal conversations and sharing of time-sensitive information
> that you wouldn't ever need to keep a long-term record of.
>
> But they can do things that are very useful or more efficient than
> what mailing lists can do.
>
> Mailing lists are for serious discussions, debates, and anything
> requiring a large amount of text to be exchanged.
>

> > OK, so I had to lock down the wiki due to scripted pharmacy spam, but you
> > get
> > my point.
> >
> > --
> > Joey Kelly