Re: [Nolug] Android phone apps for Linux cmdline geeks

From: Lee S. Whatley <lee_at_whatley.org>
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2013 10:31:52 -0500

On Jun 21, 2013, at 9:40 AM, Joey Kelly wrote:
>> Frankly, I thought a Google account was required to set up an Android phone.

I received a Nook HD+ for father's day, which is basically just an android tablet with access to Barnes and Noble's ebook store and their special desktop skin. I did not have to link the device to a gmail account to activate it, do software updates, or use the B&N store. I had to link a gmail account to the device in order to access the Google Play store, however. I used a throw-away gmail account that I have configured to forward to my regular email account.

The first time I opened the YouTube app it automatically created me a youtube account and I also apparently now have a Google+ account from where I accidentally opened the Google+ app. Both of these apps came pre-installed. I'm not sure if by virtue of having the gmail account I already had these accounts anyway or not...

This is my first foray into the tablet world. I will likely just use it for reading pdf's, playing games, and occasional web/email usage. I may try putting an ssh client on it and using it to try to do real work, but I imagine the lack of a physical keyboard will make it less that useful for that.

I've done a little bit of looking/researching on other android apps, and other than the initial novelty that some of them may provide, I didn't find anything that would be "life changing". I'm hoping this email thread will provide me with some other apps to look into. FWIW I am a cheap bastard and have no intention to put anything on this tablet that isn't free.

Thanks!