[Nolug] Need new internet service...

From: bad-magic-number <bad-magic-number_at_eternity-technologies.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2002 13:45:19 -0600

Okay, due to some decisions made by Bellsouth long ago when hanging
their wire, my loop length and such is causing havoc on my DSL
connection causing it to drop at odd times and be stable at others.
Bellsouth has checked the line from house to CO for problems and found
none. The loop length is somewhere between 18000 and 19000 feet, so
my provider, DTV, is basically giving up hope and said I can keep the
line in an AS-IS state...

So, here's the situation... I need to get, *gag*, cable service, but
I need the following features:

1. Static IP address (ONLY ONE)
2. Ability to run very light services off of it (SSH, VNC, small FTP and
web data for mobile access to documents, data, music, etc.)
3. 1.5Mbps and a minimum of 256kbps up

Now I know there is a Cox person hiding somwhere on here that could be
able to answer this, but can Cox customize a package that meets this, or
are they still doing to "corporate" thing and selling cookie cutter
access? I figure, it makes no sense from my standpoint (and it
shouldn't from Cox's), etc. to pay more for the same features from Cox
if I get the from somewhere else. As well, I've heard the Cox horror
stories and want good, stable access.

Jeremy