Re: [Nolug] reasons for DSL's death

From: Joey Kelly <joey_at_joeykelly.net>
Date: Sat, 14 Dec 2002 13:15:55 +0000

Well, no, I didn't mean to say that if your cable modem went on the blink or
plant forgets how to route to your node, you won't be down. What I meant was
that if a fiber gets cut, a squirrel decides to chew on your drop or a mac
truck tears it down, or some other event that would normally kill the signal
doing to your house, they'll get it back up pronto. There are guys ready to
roll, no matter what time, day or night, to insure that you've got signal
from the plant to the demarc on the side of your house.

Again, this is federal law. Any outage more than a few minutes gives them a
huge black eye. If they get lax in this department, they'll be fined and/or
decomissioned, if the outage history demonstrates that they can't maintain
POTS uptime.

--Joey

Thou spake:
>yeah. I was about to point that out. my cox stuff has been very reliable
> but the equipment (both on customer side and on Cox side) ain't like telco
> stuff.
>
>On Saturday 14 December 2002 11:11, Tim Kelley wrote:
>> On Saturday 14 December 2002 3:23 am, Joey Kelly wrote:
>> > As an aside, the cable TV market, in addition to offering broadband,
>> > has gotten the OK to offer POTS (plain old telephone service), and
>> > Cox is now advertising that service here in Nola. One of my
>> > co-workers had that installed this week, actually. The upside of this
>> > is that by law they are required to maintain 99.9999 (you get the
>> > idea) uptime on their POTS service (since your 911 calls go through
>> > Cox), which means that your broadband connection is pretty much
>> > guaranteed to stay up 24/7 if you also have telephone service through
>> > Cox.
>>
>> Not really, there's stil plenty that your broadband and phone service
>> don't have in common; just 'cause your cable phone service is up
>> doesn't mean your broadband internet will be at all.

I'd rather crash a Ford than wreck a Chevy