Re: [Nolug] reasons for DSL's death

From: Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson_at_cox.net>
Date: 14 Dec 2002 13:15:05 -0600

On Sat, 2002-12-14 at 11:11, Tim Kelley wrote:
> On Saturday 14 December 2002 3:23 am, Joey Kelly wrote:
>
> > As an aside, the cable TV market, in addition to offering broadband,
> > has gotten the OK to offer POTS (plain old telephone service), and
> > Cox is now advertising that service here in Nola. One of my
> > co-workers had that installed this week, actually. The upside of this
> > is that by law they are required to maintain 99.9999 (you get the
> > idea) uptime on their POTS service (since your 911 calls go through
> > Cox), which means that your broadband connection is pretty much
> > guaranteed to stay up 24/7 if you also have telephone service through
> > Cox.
>
> Not really, there's stil plenty that your broadband and phone service
> don't have in common; just 'cause your cable phone service is up
> doesn't mean your broadband internet will be at all.

So the big, fat Cisco routers might go down, but the "in the field"
hardware gets fixed fast, since the phone service travels over that,
too.

We got Cox Digital Telephone (along with LD service back in the summer,
and have been pretty satisfied, although have had a couple dozen
occasions where calls haven't been able to go through, from busy
circuits. (They were LD, though, so it *may* have been Not Cox's
Fault, but don't remember that happening when I was with AT&T.)

| Ron Johnson, Jr.        mailto:ron.l.johnson@cox.net          |
| Jefferson, LA  USA      http://members.cox.net/ron.l.johnson  |
| "My advice to you is to get married: If you find a good wife, |
| you will be happy; if not, you will become a philosopher."    |
|    Socrates                                                   |