Re: [Nolug] E-T and evangelism

From: Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson_at_cox.net>
Date: 19 Dec 2002 23:15:06 -0600

On Thu, 2002-12-19 at 21:46, the Professor wrote:
> > >I think that this thread should halt right now.
> > >
> > >Making fun of someone else's religion is Not Nice To Do On The List...
>
> While, generally speaking, this is a very accurate and correct behavior, I
> don't think too many would be offended when asked that kind of question....
> and if you are I hear Allah needs a few more drones.

Well, ok then...

[snip]
> > 6. The final answer is VMS.
> Is this another joke? Was I supposed to laugh? If so, how hard?

Absolutely not!!! VMS is The One True OS. I have it on good authority
that $DEITY has a couple dozen 32x SMP 1GHz Alphas running VMS 7.3-1
all "VAX" Clustered together(1) and connected to a 567TB Hitachi SAN.
Rdb is a great RDBMS for the kind of OLTP database needed for keeping
track of everyone and everything.

(1) Note that this is *not* supercomputer clustering, but, at it's
most basic, a shared-disk system which uses a Distributed Lock Manager
to coordinate resource locking between nodes. Print and "batch" queues
are also visible across nodes
http://www.hp-interex.ch/events/20020419/OpenVMSCluster.pdf (page 11)
http://oss.software.ibm.com/dlm/
http://www.lustre.org/docs/dlm.pdf
http://www3.sympatico.ca/n.rieck/docs/vms_vs_unix.html

| Ron Johnson, Jr.        mailto:ron.l.johnson@cox.net          |
| Jefferson, LA  USA      http://members.cox.net/ron.l.johnson  |
| "My advice to you is to get married: If you find a good wife, |
| you will be happy; if not, you will become a philosopher."    |
|    Socrates                                                   |