[Nolug] Re: [nolug] [nolug] cost

From: johns_at_sstar.com
Date: Sun, 05 Jan 03 21:54:06 -0600

Hi Dave.

> Thanks. I was wondering about the cost for a private school.
> Sounds like unless they have serious usage, DSL is a much better deal.

Yes, I would say so. ADSL is a really great deal overall. You get a LOT of
bang for the buck. Cable also gives a LOT of bang for the buck.

When you look back at the progression of data speeds to the home over the
years, most of the improvements were in the 2:1 to 4:1 neighborhood. Consider:
 From 300 to 450, then 600 bps. Then from 600 to 1200, then 2400, then 9600,
then 19,200. Then to 28.8K, to 33.6K. Finally to 56K (more like high 40's on
average for most).

Most home users didn't go for ISDN, but that raised the bar to 128K.

Consider how long it took to get from 300 to 56K. 20 years? That's for about
a 150:1 overall improvement.

Then within just a few short years both DSL and Cable are offering Megabit
speeds. It's a 25:1 or 50:1 step in a short time! It provided the end users
with such good links that often the Internet backbones and the servers at the
other end can't keep up!

John

John Souvestre - Southern Star - 504-888-3348 - http://www.sstar.com