Re: [Nolug] Re: [nolug] [nolug] cost

From: Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson_at_cox.net>
Date: 06 Jan 2003 00:16:19 -0600

On Sun, 2003-01-05 at 21:54, johns@sstar.com wrote:
> Hi Dave.
>
> > Thanks. I was wondering about the cost for a private school.
> > Sounds like unless they have serious usage, DSL is a much better deal.
>
> Yes, I would say so. ADSL is a really great deal overall. You get a LOT of
> bang for the buck. Cable also gives a LOT of bang for the buck.
>
> When you look back at the progression of data speeds to the home over the
> years, most of the improvements were in the 2:1 to 4:1 neighborhood. Consider:
> From 300 to 450, then 600 bps. Then from 600 to 1200, then 2400, then 9600,
> then 19,200. Then to 28.8K, to 33.6K. Finally to 56K (more like high 40's on
> average for most).
>
> Most home users didn't go for ISDN, but that raised the bar to 128K.
>
> Consider how long it took to get from 300 to 56K. 20 years? That's for about
> a 150:1 overall improvement.
>
> Then within just a few short years both DSL and Cable are offering Megabit
> speeds. It's a 25:1 or 50:1 step in a short time! It provided the end users
> with such good links that often the Internet backbones and the servers at the
> other end can't keep up!

It is truly amazing...

Downloading 20KB files for my KayPro at 300 baud took 10.25 minutes
in 1984. Now, 18 years later, it takes 1/10th of a second.

That's a 6150x speed increase.

The 3GHz P4 has 500x faster cycle rate than the 6Mhz 80286. I guess
the P4 is more than 12x more efficient than the 80286...

Disk capacity has kept pace, but RAM capacity hasn't (I only have
1228x more RAM than 640KB)...

| Ron Johnson, Jr.     mailto:ron.l.johnson@cox.net          |
| Jefferson, LA  USA   http://members.cox.net/ron.l.johnson  |
| "Basically, I got on the plane with a bomb. Basically, I   |
|  tried to ignite it. Basically, yeah, I intended to damage |
|  the plane."                                               |
|    RICHARD REID, who tried to blow up American Airlines    |
|                  Flight 63                                 |