RE: [Nolug] Re: cable modems

From: Rob Theriot <rtheriot_at_ttu.edu>
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2003 23:08:39 -0600

Ive got access to micro pc, through work, I had ordered one online (ebay -
$25 bucks) and because the moron I bought it from refused to ship it ups
3day like I asked, Im stuck waiting untill the weekend for it to show up.
So I was hoping to find one I could "borrow" but if the mac-address caching
works anything like the old bridged dsl lines & Id have to spend 4 hours on
the phone trying to explain away the fact that I changed modems, Ill just
wait. To be honest - and I do this for a living, the absolute worst thing
in the world is sitting on hold / talking to a tech, when 1. you now whats
wrong, 2. you know what needs to be done to fix it 3. the tech has you
spending unneccessary hours on the phone because "its company policy we do
this first" or they have NO CLUE what has happened, and getting things fixed
will require a visit from the "supervisor" and they want to make damn sure
they dont look like a fool before fetching him (which by demanding to speak
with them in the first place, more often than not, gets things done alot
quicker)

so in order to placate my sanity, and maybe hold on to it for a little while
longer, Im going to wait for the USPS to bring my magic box and hope the
gods of broadband give me a fortunate experience (can I spell that without
using XP?)

thanks for the help, suggestion, and comments.

brain> resume lurk -t now.

rob - signing off