[Nolug] friendly linux distros

From: Joey Kelly <joey_at_joeykelly.net>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 10:39:46 +0000

1). I've said it many times, if you set up a linux box for some random user
so that everyting is installed and everything works, and you run them through
it ("here is your browser, you do email here, this is your wordprocessor,
etc..."), then they can be productive. If they don't have to admin it, and
only have to be a user, anyone can use linux.

2). I saw a demonstration of Lindows this week, and while I wouldn't want to
run it here at my house, it is, I think, perfect for clued users wanting to
migrate from windows. It detects everything during install. It even found and
mounted windows shares it found on other PCs on the LAN, using samba. I was
impressed. Too bad they don't offer a free download for it :-(

3). More experienced users would probably be ok with SuSE, mandrake, or even
debian, as these distros install easily, configure stuff automatically in
many cases, update easily, etc..

--Joey

Thou spake:
>>Please give me more suggestions for friendly distros.
>
>I know I'm probably going to get torn up for saying this, but if this is for
>your GF maybe you should just put Windows on it and save her the trouble.
>Or, if this is not feasible, Lindows.
>Dave
>
>PS Please don't lynch me NOLUG

I'd rather crash a Ford than wreck a Chevy