Re: [Nolug] installing gnu compiler

From: Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson_at_cox.net>
Date: 31 Jan 2003 11:25:55 -0600

On Fri, 2003-01-31 at 00:38, Chris Bloch wrote:
> Libranet? I will look into it.
> This was actually my girlfriend's box that I built
> her, and so the PRIME consideration was ease of use.
> Mandrake was the only install that automatically
> configured the right sound card, network and video out
> of lycoris, an older mandrake, knoppix, and ark (which
> wouldn't even boot)

You can make *any* distro easy to *use*.

My wife uses straight Debian 3.0 with Gnome 1.4. I put
her favorite apps as icons on the "panel", and left her
to it.

> Likewise, these same distro's didn't configure on my
> box. I couldn't even get mandrake to boot, on my semi
> new computer. The main problem has been getting sound
> out of my intel i810 chipset which does not get
> configured right on any distro. I trashed gentoo
> which was GREAT except for this. If I could have
> fixed it I would have stuck with it, just because
> installing software was so easy.

The beauty of Debian is that upgrading it is incredably
easy. There are those on the list that haven't re-installed
Debian in years. The "apt-get" mechanism makes upgrades
and security patches pathetically easy.

So, even if Libranet (heck, use Debian itself!) won't auto-
magically configure everything, a little hard work and
googling ONCE will pretty much set her up permanently.