Re: [Nolug] Suddenly, invalid MAC address

From: Joey Kelly <joey_at_joeykelly.net>
Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2003 00:21:15 +0000

Ron,

Take the machine down totally. Unplug everything from the board, etc., then
reseat everything. While you're at it, blow off the board and each part with
compressed air. You might have oxidation, or dust might be causing
capacitance which could effectively short out something.

I had a box that I had to do this to every couple of months. Weird, but doing
the above made it run correctly. I've also made dead boxen come back to life
simply by hitting the innards with compressed air.

Then again, you might have a mobo that's going on the fritz. YMMV.

--Joey

Thou spake:
>Hi,
>
>I had to reboot my machine tonight, because it seemed like
>my keyboard went bonkers (I could only get lowercase when
>CAPS LOCK was on, and I couldn't get chars like comma, dot &
>slash, but only left-angle, right-angle & question-mark). A
>check of the temp in the BIOS didn't show anything too high:
>CPU 50C & mobo 29C
>
>When I rebooted the machine, eth0 wouldn't come up. A check
>of syslog said "Invalid MAC Address".
>
>How could this be, when that card was working not 5 minutes
>beforehand?
>
>The machine is off now, just in case it was a heat problem.
>
>Thanks,
>Ron

I'd rather crash a Ford than wreck a Chevy