Re: [Nolug] Suddenly, invalid MAC address

From: Andrew S. Johnson <andy_at_asjohnson.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2003 12:50:48 -0600

On Sunday 16 February 2003 10:13 am, Tim Kelley wrote:
> On Saturday 15 February 2003 11:30 pm, Ron Johnson wrote:
>
> Power problems can cause all sorts of goofy stuff ... I stupidly had a
> laser printer plugged into the same socket (in a UPS no less) as a my
> pc once, caused all sorts of weirdness until finally the power supply
> in the pc just died.

I had a hard drive in a PC that began to power down, then back up,
then down again, etc. I thought the drive was bad, but when I went
into the mobo power management bios page, the voltages from the
power supply were all a volt or more off from what they should have
been, and not all in the same direction. A new case (with a new
supply) solved that drive problem. The old power supply had finally
drifted too far off spec for the hardware to handle. Diagnosing bad
power and grounding will give anyone grey hair.

Andy Johnson