Re: [Nolug] WIN98SE ICS Server, Linux Client Help

From: Andrew S. Johnson <andy_at_asjohnson.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2003 21:00:20 -0600

On Sunday 16 February 2003 08:22 pm, Bryant Stewart wrote:
> --- "Andrew S. Johnson" <andy@asjohnson.com> wrote:
> > On Sunday 16 February 2003 07:46 pm, Bryant Stewart
> > wrote:
> > > --- "Andrew S. Johnson" <andy@asjohnson.com>
> > Stewart
> > win98se
> > gateway
> > know
> > would be

> > > bellsouth fast access
> >
> > If you have an ethernet modem, you can probably get
> > an external
> > firewall with a built in switch that can handle this
> > without too much
> > trouble. This would be the easiest, if you have $50
> > and ten minutes
> > to set it up. If you have a USB modem, you are SOL.
> > I'd be suprised
> > if a modem other than the one BellSouth provided
> > would work on
> > their system. It doesn't mean that it couldn't, but
> > I've never heard
> > any success stories.
> >
> > Andy Johnson

> so far on my net i have 5 pcs. 4 windows boxes and 1
> linux box. ics will work on all of the windows boxes.
> its just a config problem that i am having setting ics
> up on the linux box. do you know of anywhere locally
> that i could get a pppoe dsl modem??

As far as the DSL modem goes, no. Check eBay; that's where
I got mine. I can't say I know a lot about ICS, but if history is
anything to go by, Micros~1 usually uses something standard, but
changes it ever so slightly as to make it incompatible with anything
non-windoze. Embrace and extend, they say. In order for ICS to
work with ISP's, it would have to be some form of NAT. If you could
give me more info about your network, like addresses, masks, dns
addresses, gateway's, etc, I could at least take a swing at it. I tried
to set up a friend's computers about two years ago, but I never was
able to get his wife's mac to work with ICS, which is why I suspect
that Micros~1's version of NAT is "extended".

Andy Johnson